20111010

Flower Power ~ an Herbal Home in NYC

Last year I was saddened to find that Aphrodisia, my favorite (and first ever) herb shop in NYC had been closed down. I walked up and down Bleecker St. where it once stood, with its lacy curtains and always a beautiful black and white cat in the window, unable to fathom that it had closed. I thought that all hopes for an herbal "home" in NYC were lost, though I did harbor hopes for Aphrodisia to be opened once again (and I still do!) I had to go into the city today for something, and I decided to google "herb shops nyc." The search yielded thousands of results, mostly health food stores and vitamin shops. But at the top of the list was one that seemed legit - Flower Power Roots & Herbs shop in the East Village, on 9th st. between Ave. A & 1st Ave.
Sesame helping a customer
I decided to visit and I am very glad I did. Passing by on 9th st., one might not know that inside there are hundreds of organic/wildcrafted green allies displayed beautifully on the shelves in glass jars alongside books, calendars, salves, healing salts, and flower essences.
The moment I walked in I felt I had found home! The lovely and beautiful attendant Sesame allowed me to take some photos and she was so excited to hear that I am a student of Rosemary's. I was excited to see Rosemary's herbal healing for women book on the shelf. I bought an oz. each of horsetail, hops, milky oat tops, and dong quai. Sesame told me they'd also ship herbs to me in the future if I needed.
On the counter they have a notebook where customers can write favorite herbal recipes/tips - I wrote a recipe for my Loving Nettle Coconut Oil Hair Treatment. It was a wonderful feeling to be amongst the herbs again, right there in the middle of the East Village. Walking out with the herbs in hand, I felt markedly different than I did when I walked in, I guess that's flower power ~

No comments:

Post a Comment