20111002

Herbal Apprenticeship ~ Part 2

Mist over the gardens
Arriving at Sage Mountain on an early Sunday morning, the mountain was filled with a sheer mist that would return every so often throughout the week. Through the mist I began to see apparitions of other apprentices, peeping out of tent doors, admiring the plants, sipping cups of steaming teas. One thing tied them all together - they were all smiling. I found the kitchen and started on a cup of green tea with ginger, and mustered up the courage to announce my arrival to the others who were enjoying breakfast and talking. I was warmly welcomed by all. Joy, my first friend at the mountain, greeted me and made me feel right at home. Her glowing presence and warm heart made me feel safe and joyful. As I sat and looked around, trying to take in as much as possible, Flower, the beautiful and sweet assistant told me I could eat something and then check in at the office when I was ready. I met Robert at the office and he asked if I would be dorming indoors or tenting. When I said tenting, he looked surprised, and said "brave soul!" I was flattered and liked to think of myself as one. I was eager to pitch my tent and unpack. I had about an hour until the first class of the day. I chose a spot near the intern's cabin at the edge of the forest, not far from the office and from Rosemary's home. There were a few other tents there, and I thought it would be a good spot considering I never did this before and the wide open field where most of the tents were pitched was a bit intimidating (and far away!)
My tee-pee in the distance
So I put up my sweet little green tent and brought my possessions, making sure to bring no food at all inside. I had a dream about a bear the week before I left and was very nervous about inviting any wild friends in. There was a sweet satisfaction once the tent was up and I had just a few minutes before class started to use the bathroom, eat something quickly, make another cup of tea, and find the yurt. I was sidetracked on the way there by the herb gardens that cascaded down the mountaintop, the mist creating an incandescent glow around the blooms.
Sweet Heather
Though it was early Autumn and most of the plants were preparing to draw back down and go into winter mode, there was a certain beauty in the garden I never saw before. Maybe because I never realized that gardens can be beautiful even when they aren't in their full bloom time. The dew at this time of year is thicker and more substantial, giving the plants a look of encasement in tiny bubbles of shining glass. The early decomposition stages were beginning and so there were deep ambers, fading magentas, heavy minty greens, all saturated by the heavy dew. I noticed a little heather plant with the tiniest bells of magenta and beige pink flowers, coming out of the edge of the rock near a little fairy cave.
Precious fairy cave
I noticed great attention to detail, with crystals and fairy castles throughout the garden. I noticed many herbs I had never met before but knew I must have heard of or read about and a surge of excitement came over me. Walking to the yurt, I could see in the distance a round room surrounded by trees, mosses, and thickets of green. I saw the other apprentices entering and for a second they looked like little fairies or elves dropping into another realm.
The Yurt, where the magic happens
I took my shoes off, dropped off my backpack, and entered as well. I saw colors, light, candles and incense. Chairs and cushions on maroon and turquoise rugs. I saw flower fairy flags, sculptures, beautiful arrangements of wildflowers and crystal specimens. A table at the front with herbal books, jars of infusions, baskets of dried petals and leaves. In that moment everything came together. I saw Rosemary sitting at the front with Flower and the other teachers I hadn't met yet. She asked, is anyone new here today? And as if watching myself in a dream, I said, "I am!" I was gently guided towards a seat and Melissa, a teacher, gave me an amethyst globe to hold as Rosemary asked me to introduce myself. I said I came because I felt I had to and that I have been interested in herbs and the green world for as long as I can remember. Everyone said I'm beautiful. I cozied into my cushion chair, looked around, and took out my notebook and pen which would become filled with the wisdom and insight of Rosemary, Melissa, Micky, and my new friends over the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment